Monday, May 3, 2010

Charlie's new playground

As I mentioned in my last post, the grandparents got Charlie an outdoor playground for his 3rd birthday. We had it built Thursday. Charlie watched anxiously out the window as "the boys" worked to put it together.I was amazed at how fast it went together! They brought in pre-built pieces though so it was just a matter of putting the screws in and making a few cuts. We located it in a natural part of our yard as not to take up a huge part of what play area we have in the yard. The guys were able to fit it in perfectly among the trees.

It was being put together right around lunch time and into the afternoon...just the time I'm usually trying to get Charlie down for a nap. Do you know how hard it is to get a little boy to go to sleep when all he wants to do is go slide? Uh, it was awful! I just had to be the mean mommy. Poor thing. He did eventually stay in his bed and go to sleep but that was after about an hour or more of fighting with him.

I called Daniel to see if he could come home early. I hated for him to miss Charlie getting to play on his new playground for the first time and I knew there was no prolonging it once Charlie was awake. Daniel said "sure" and was home an hour later. :) Guess he decided he'd rather play/work in the yard than sit at his desk. I can't blame him though. But, I did find it amusing. It was as if he just hung up the phone and ran out the door.

Charlie didn't squeal and carry on like I thought he would but he was definitely excited to play on the playground. He kept saying, "climb ladder? go down slide? swing?" He actually has been saying it for days now. He had a little trouble at first climbing the ladder but he mastered it pretty quickly. The slide is a little fast for him and he bumped his bottom a few too many times and now will only slide if you help him "go slow". Charlie is also enjoying the big boy swings. Mommy normally has to swing with him as well. Luckily, I'm not too big to do that yet. I managed to get some pics but it's hard to take pictures of a moving target. Charlie wouldn't stand/sit still long enough for me to get a decent shot. He was just too busy!
Below is a video, for the grandparents, of Charlie's first adventure on his new playground. Thanks Grandma, Grandpa, Gram & Papa! We're going to have tons of fun in our backyard now!
(And just for embarrassement's sake for later in Charlie's life...he has already initiated his new playground...it's just what happens when you're having too much fun and are potty training.)

No comments: