Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Charlie turns 3!

Today is Charlie's 3rd birthday. I tried to do some things out of the ordinary for him to celebrate. So, our day started with a trip to Toys-R-Us. He was just excited to go look at toys. I don't think it mattered where. We started out our Toy-R-Us adventure on the Elmo/Sesame Street aisle. They didn't have the Elmo Live I know he was looking for but the original Tickle Me Elmo was enough.

A good amount of our time was spent in the big trucks/construction trucks area as well as the tools. Charlie pushed all the buttons on the big rigs, the backhoes, bulldozers, fire trucks, cement trucks, etc. He can tell you all about the ones he played with. He was especially drawn to a big motorcycle on this aisle.Charlie played with the balls for a little while before finding himself a helmet to wear. It was a batter's helmet but he didn't know the difference. It just immediately had to go on his head.We then moved to the bicycle area. We tried out two different ones. One that was a cute little red Radio Flyer. The other was a little pink one. Yes, he chose to ride the pink one. But, only adults associate pink with little girls so who cares! Charlie pushed his way up and down the aisle. He wouldn't use the pedals...not that he knows how but I did try. He started out riding with his new helmet on but it didn't last long before he was taking it off. Charlie kept wanting to ride the bigger bikes but I just kept telling him that they were too big. It was an act of Congress to get him to move on from this section. I enticed him with the Elmo aisle again.We quickly looked at books. But, besides the bikes, the highlight of Charlie's trip was the Thomas the train table. I think we spent atleast 30 minutes here. Again, it was next to impossible to get him to leave this table. Charlie was having so much fun pushing the little trains around the tracks, especially through the tunnel. While he played, I tried to find a set that was reasonably priced that could go home with us because he seemed to enjoy it so much. But, no luck.We found a few more aisles with some great noise making toys before we headed out the door. I never intended on staying in the place for two hours but I was in no hurry and was just letting Charlie pretty much do as he wanted. He definitely had fun!

A big spiderman ball and Ernie ended up going home with us. Charlie kept loving on Ernie each time I got him off the shelf at Charlie's request so I asked him if he wanted Ernie to go home with us. His response, of course, was "yes". Ernie had to do everything with us the rest of the day.
After our pics with Ernie in the car, each time Charlie saw my camera out, he asked me to take a picture of Ernie. Here is his version of taking a picture of Ernie...
Here is my version...I LOVE this picture!Chick-fil-A was our stop for lunch. What kid doesn't want chicken nuggets, french fries and chocolate milk. I even let Charlie play in the play area for a little while. I never do this because he is still a little too small to climb inside the structure. The only way I could get him to leave was mentioning going to Publix. I think this is his favorite place to go...probably because it is so familiar but my guess is that it's the cookie he always gets!

We stopped at our usual Publix for a cookie and some balloons. Charlie didn't care that I put cupcakes in the buggy to send with him to school tomorrow and to eat with dinner. He was too focused on getting the balloons. The kid has had a ball playing with those balloons today!When we got home, it was nap time. Charlie insisted on putting Ernie to bed. And, like Woody and Jesse, Ernie had to sleep in Grandpa's room (our guest bedroom). Charlie also wanted to take his nap on this bed today with the "crew". I decided not to fight him over it as long as he went to sleep. I snapped a few pictures of the four of them.I told Charlie to pretend like he was asleep so he started snoring. I got him to close his eyes but this is what I got... Once Daniel got home, Charlie got to go outside and dig in the dirt. Daniel is still working on projects in the backyard and Charlie, of course, had to help. Nothing like fulfilling a toddler's dream of digging in the dirt...especially on his birthday! After dinner, we celebrated Charlie's birthday with cupcakes. Charlie tried to blow out the candles but he hasn't really learned how to blow. He blows air through his top teeth. We tried to teach him how but he just kept saying "hot" in reference to the candles. So, Daddy ended up blowing out the candles. Then, Charlie enjoyed eating the icing!The usual bath and bed ended a fun-filled third birthday for Charlie! Happy birthday my sweet boy! I'm trying to absorb and remember each and every moment of it because you are growing so fast!

(On a side note, Charlie spent the majority of the day in big boy underwear! Is that an accomplishment for Charlie or Mommy?)

No comments: