Tuesday, February 9, 2010

potty training - day two

Whew! This is work but today was much better. We actually made some progress. Charlie had an couple of accidents this morning, especially during Sesame Street. I think I may need to forego Sesame Street for a few days but Charlie wakes up asking if Elmo is on so that may be easier said than done. :) Charlie never pooped yesterday so I was interested to see what today held for us. About 11:00, we turned on Barney and Charlie got pretty still...sign #1. Then he began to whine and fuss for no reason...sign #2. So off to the potty we went. He was kicking and screaming this time which is rare. He wouldn't get on the potty but just cried. All he wanted to do was hug on me. He was sure to keep an eye on the TV though so he could still watch Barney. :) I let him hug on me but continued to try and get him on the potty. I stood him up at one point and saw the cringe-strain face. I felt of his underwear and sure enough...so I quickly pulled his undies down and sat him on the potty. He finished his business in the potty and also peed a little as well. All the while, crying the whole time. It took him a little while to calm down but we went through the whole sticker/M&M thing anyways. So I think that's probably considered a half-success.

We continued with potty time until his naptime. He never went teetee again before his nap, either in the potty or on the floor so he's learning to hold it. I considered that progress. I wasn't constantly cleaning up a mess. At this point, we were on undie pair #3. I expected a soaked diaper when Charlie got up from his nap but got the opposite...it was completely dry. Once I convinced Charlie to start the potty time cycle again, he sat on the potty like a big boy. We were reading "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and about halfway through Charlie looked down...he was teeteeing in the potty! woo hoo! I was elated! It was a bladder emptying one too not just a tinkle. So stickers and M&M's all around!

Every time we go to sit on the potty, he leans over it and says, "no tee tee. no poo poo." So I just respond, "No. So YOU need to put some tee tee and poo poo in the potty." He didn't use the potty again for a while but he didn't have an accident either. We're on pair #4 at this point.

After dinner, we had a few half-successes. Charlie's undies would be a little wet so I knew he needed to tee tee but he wouldn't let it all go. He would just do a little and then want to flush. That's his new favorite part. We did this a couple of times. I put him in the bath around 8:00 and almost the second he sat in the water, the fountain began. Charlie wasn't happy about it. He kept saying, "tee tee potty". So Daniel and I were happy that he was upset about not going tee tee on the potty. (To be honest, I was just glad I didn't have to clean up the puddle.)

So off to wash some undies and on to the next day of potty training...

No comments: