Saturday, February 13, 2010

potty training - day six

Well, Charlie finally showed some signs of progress today. I'm trying not to get my hopes up because I've heard from a few other moms...once step forward, two steps back. But, my confidence with it went up today and I'm hoping Charlie's did as well. Since Daniel and I have noticed that Charlie "holds" himself when he needs to go pee, I was watching him like a hawk this morning. In a matter of 10 or 15 minutes, we were in the bathroom 3 or 4 times. Charlie just will not tee tee on the potty. I turned on Barney for him since he was asking for it and because it wasn't coming on PBS today. I walked into the kitchen to fix something to eat and I heard, "uh-oh." Puddle. All the times I took him to the potty though, there was no arguing from Charlie. I guess because he knew he needed to go. He was also telling me he had to go tee tee. Granted, not every time but hey, it's something. I've also decided that Charlie is going to have to clean up his puddles from now on. He's only two so, yes, he needs help but I'm hoping that if he has to always clean up his mess that he will learn not to make a mess that he has to clean up. He, unfortunately, didn't really care about cleaning it up. Figures.

Charlie disappeared around noon for a few minutes. I didn't think anything of it as this is not unusual but when he reappeared he said, "made mess mommy." I asked him if he tee teed on the floor and he said "yes." Luckily, it was only a little spot on the carpet. He had filled his undies another way. Guess I need to pay more attention to those disappearing acts. :) These were our only incidents before he went down for his nap. Charlie chose big boy underwear again for nap. He woke up with undies and pants that were a little wet but he didn't wet his bed (that we could tell).

So, the pee pee dancing begins and crotch-holding ensues. About 45 minutes after he got up, we took many trips to the potty. After our every 30 seconds potty trips, I decided Charlie needed to sit on the potty for an extended amount of time. I did everything I could to keep him there. He was not happy about it. I didn't force it but he was upset and crying. I let him cry on my shoulder and play with my hair while still sitting on the potty. This was my attempt to calm him down. After quite a few minutes, Charlie did FINALLY tee tee on the potty. It's almost like he's scared to go tee tee on the potty. Just another hurdle we've got to get over. But, as always, M&M's and stickers all around!

Charlie had another successful visit to the potty late this afternoon. We made a few attempts and then, as I got him to sit there a little longer, he tee teed...without any crying! Daniel said that Charlie told me "tee tee" before our trip to the bathroom. We noticed that he was beginning to run for no apparent reason so we knew it was time. I've just learned to watch closely for the signs. That has eased the stress of the situation for me. I can now see when he has to go and not stress so much about the in-between times. So...two successes! woo hoo! This is the first day we've had two and in a row!

We'll see what tomorrow holds...

No comments: