March 14, 2013 - SUCCESS!!! Charlie finally got his teeth cleaned! I have tried many times with my dentist/hygienist to get Charlie to let them clean his teeth since he turned four. I tried bribery. I tried punishment. (I know. Not a smart parent tactic.) I even had his best friend come and sit in the chair with him one visit. Nothing. Kid wouldn't even open his mouth. He would just cry.
So, I decided to try the pediatric dentist that was recommended by my hygienist and Charlie's pediatrician...Dr. Rossitch. His staff was great!
I didn't tell Charlie we were going to the dentist until the morning of. Smart parent tactic! :) We pulled into the parking lot and Charlie said, "I don't want to go to the dentist." My reply..."I'm sorry, bud." And, off we go into the office. Charlie and Philip immediately went for the toys so he was comfortable already.
By the time I signed both boys in, Charlie had found the video game room. Even more comfortable...yay! They had a little 3 foot door beside the the entrance door to the back. Charlie kept going in and out. Once Philip got his turn, I thought he would do the same thing as Charlie. Nope. He went in the door and didn't come back out. He had gone exploring...into the cleaning room! It's amazing the difference in kids. I had to go find him and get him to come back to the waiting room!
They call both of them back. Both boys just trotted right on in. Charlie looked at me to come with them. I just said, "Go on. I'm staying here." I was surprised that he just accepted it and off he went. Philip never looked back! I had decided that it would probably be better for me to go this route so Charlie couldn't whine and cry for me. After a few minutes of waiting, I couldn't stand it any longer though and had to take a peek. Charlie was in his chair and Philip was in his. It was a large room with four dental chairs.
The hygienist worked with Philip first. No issues with Philip. She laid his seat back and he cooperated and did everything she asked. She cleaned his teeth. The dentist came by to check his teeth and voila! All done.
Charlie on the other hand gave the hygienist a tough challenge. She started to work with him and he began to cry. She quickly figured out that he didn't want to lay back in a reclined chair and offered to clean his teeth with him sitting up. After that, no problems. I won't say he was happy about it but he did as told. They even got xrays!
I was just amazed...and ecstatic! Giddy, almost.
SUCCESS!!! Found a dentist office that got Charlie's teeth cleaned...and then...we move. Oh well. Atleast they are clean for now! :)




No comments:
Post a Comment