Friday, May 16, 2008

a day for mommy!

Today I got to spend on myself. I received a gift certificate for a 30 minute massage for Mother's Day. You cannot imagine how excited I was to receive it! Between toting around a 20 pound youngin', to placing that same youngin' on the slide multiple times, to my pillow on my bed being awful, my neck, shoulders and back were in knots. I scheduled it for 11:00 a.m. since it was one of Daniel's Fridays off. So while he was Mr. Mom, I was being pampered. Oh, how I wish that was a weekly routine. Unfortunately, those glorious 30 minutes had to pass and I went about the rest of my day...greasy but relaxed and feeling good. I ran a few errands and actually had a peaceful trip to Joann's. I don't know what it is about that store but every time I go in, Charlie gets fussy. No. I take that back. I do know what it is. I spend waaaayyy too long in that store and it normally infringes on his naptime. My day also included a trip to Target, the post office, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart. Sounds fun, huh? It was nice to just pop in and out without having to get Charlie in and out of his car seat that many times. I was able to get a hair cut today as well. Don't you just love having your hair washed?

Coming in second behind the massage, a great part of my day was getting my business going. I recently registered my business with the gov. and got my employment identification number (EIN). Sorry I didn't post about that. I just forgot about it. I am now officially incorporated and have a business called "Melissa Ward Architecture". Today, I went to the bank to get a checking account for my business and a credit card for it. Unfortunately, in Georgia, you have to have a business license, as well as the EIN, in order to do that so off to the courthouse I went. After this form and that form, I applied for my business license. The lady told me it takes somewhere between 24-48 hours to be approved for a license. Since it was Friday afternoon at 4:00, I figure it will be Monday before they even look at it so I'm hoping to hear something on Tuesday. I'll also find out how much it's going to set me back financially to get that license. I'll then go back to the bank and get that ball rolling.

Kennesaw has some strict guidelines for running a business out of your home like you can't have client meetings at your residence, you can't have regular deliveries, no signage on your property that shows a business exists there, etc. The list goes on. The only ones that really hurt me are the no client meetings and no regular deliveries. But, until I get a plotter, the regular deliveries shouldn't be a problem. And, I'll just have to find a good meeting spot for client meetings whenever I get to that point. I don't really have a good spot here in the house anyways, other than my dining room table, and that would require me keeping it cleaned off and my living room in decent order with no toys strewn all over the place.

Anyway, it's a nice feeling to get my business off and running. It's a scary feeling too though. That's alot of responsibility and alot of pressure but I'm just taking it a step at the time and learning as I go.

So, it's been a productive day. I had a little adventure tonight when I went to get Charlie some Benedryl at CVS. I first had a hard time finding the childrens' Benedryl. Shouldn't it be with the adult's Benedryl? You would think! So after asking the pharmacist where it is and making up my mind whether I wanted to buy the brand name stuff or not, I make my way to the counter and lo, and behold, the power goes out. Well, come to find out, customers can't stay in the store if the power is out so I'm standing at the register with the Benedryl in hand, in the dark, and am asked to leave. No big deal though. So, I set the box down and out I go. But who wants to wait for the power to come back on? You could be there for hours. Back in the car, where I've already spent my whole day, to the next closet store that 1. has power and 2. has Benedryl. That ended up being Wal-Mart which is about 5 miles away. 5 miles! That's not far, you say. It is when you pass a Publix, a Walgreens and another CVS to get there. And, not to mention, I despise Wal-Mart. I've also made a trip there today already.

Once I get back home, the power is still out. By now, it's almost 9:00 pm. But, thanks to Daylight Savings Time, it's still a little light out. So, Daniel and I are trying to give Charlie Benedryl in the dark. The other thing the nurse wanted me to do was to take a pen and draw a circle around the red whelp on his leg so that if it's bigger in the morning, we can easily tell. (Oh, back up. Charlie has a big red spot on his leg where he got his shots last week. It appeared a day or so ago and is growing so I called the nurse to check it.) With flashlight in hand, Daniel tries to do this but the pen won't write. Figures. I take the pen and write on some paper and the lights come back on. Hallelujah! Benedryl goes down. Big ink circle on leg. Off to bed. Oh, no. Power goes out again. We do around and settle in for a while in the dark. I remembered that I have an oil lantern so I rummage through the closet to find it. I find some matches. Strike it. Flame. Lantern lit. Power comes back on. Doesn't it always work that way?

Wow. That was a long post. If you've made it this far, either my stories are quite entertaining or you just really love me. But, since I don't think I've left out much from my day other than the mundane usual stuff that goes on during one's day, I'll call it a night. Whew! What a day! Thank you, my darling husband, for giving me "a day for mommy" (even though it was quite eventful). I love you. (Psss...he even cleaned the kitchen today! woo hoo!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

woo hoo, for him cleaning the kitchen, that would be the best part for me. I mean a massage is nice but a clean kitchen that I didn't clean, that's the best. And another thing we have in common, I also HATE Walmart. And there isn't a Target here. But a week from tomorrow, I will officially be living in a town with a Target. Civilization, here I come!

Glad you got a mommies day off!

becky said...

mommy massages are sooooo worth it. and soooooo not given enough. if i ever play the lottery and win it, i will employ a masseuse. it will be worth one of my kids not going to college i'm sure.

and my hubs, helpful as he is, just thinks that washing the dishes or putting up dry ones means the kitchen is clean. i live with 2 little piggies...that entails wiping the table, vacuuming the floor and wiping the counters.

your hubby deserves major kudos.

Melissa Lester said...

Wow, you are busy! After all that, it sounds like you could use another Mommy day -- maybe this one reversed with 30 minutes of errands and the rest of the day at a spa!