Wednesday, May 7, 2008

12 month check-up

Charlie went for his 12 month check-up today. He's doing well. The nurse asked me things like how much he's eating, if he's on whole milk, and how much milk he drinks during the day. She also asked me things like if he can wave, if he can play peek-a-boo, if he's pointing to things that he wants, if he's calling me mama, if he's pointing to his nose or eyes when I say the word. The answers to those questions is no except that he is just learning to wave. He's gotten interested in people's eyes, and mouths so we'll start working on that one alot more. I always feel like I'm slacking when they ask me these things because most of the time the answer is no. I just have to keep telling myself that Charlie is on his own schedule. He'll learn these things when he's ready. The other thing is that most of the time I don't know that he is developmentally ready for stuff so I don't even know to start trying to get him to do these things until after these visits.

As for his weight, height, etc., Charlie weighed in at 20 pounds exactly. He is 29 3/4" tall and has a head circumference of 19". I keep saying he's got a big noggin and this proved it because he is in the 90th percentile on this measurement for his age. The pediatrician charted it and said he had the head size of a 21 month old. No wonder I have trouble getting shirts over his head. He's doing fine heightwise. He is in the 55th percentile. However, the pediatrician said he hasn't gained much weight since his last appointment which was at 9 months. She expected him to gain more. He's in the 15th percentile for his age. He eats well but has become picky lately so it has slacked off significantly so I'm on a mission to bulk him up...got any suggestions? I mean, he's been eating birthday cake for a week now. That would have put 10 pounds on me easy. :)

Charlie also got three shots. It was him immunizations for MMR, Hepatitis A, and chicken pox. He, of course, screamed but was fine when we left. Other than that, everything else checked out fine.

No comments: