Saturday, May 18, 2013

packout

Yesterday was packout day...which meant the movers came to pack everything up and haul it away.  So the truck came...
Waiting for the truck to arrive was the hardest part for Daniel and me.  They told us the truck would arrive between 8 - 10 am.  We were ready for them about 8:00 or a little after.  The truck did not arrive until close to 10:00.  The anticipation was awful.  We both had butterflies in our stomach.
 
The movers came in and tackled the house.  There were 5 guys and they each took a room.  Boxes and wrapped furniture began to appear very quickly...
We kept Charlie out of school so that he could fully understand what was going on.  I couldn't bear the thought of him coming home to an empty house with all his toys gone, including his bike and big wheel.  He did well with everything and seemed to be in good spirits...
 They both did...
We had to find ways to keep busy during the day.  It was alot of sitting around and waiting on the movers.  The boys had fun watching the guys work and they were really good to tolerate little ones running around.  The movers didn't seem to get frustrated by them.  Luckily, we had the playground in the back yard still.  That kept Charlie and Philip busy in spurts.  They did find a few other things to occupy their time.
Daniel and I ended up just sitting either on the front steps or in the front yard while we watched pretty much everything we owned be loaded onto that truck. 
It was tough for me at first but slowly felt relieved as they finished up the last of the loading.  I began to have a stress/anxiety headache on Wednesday and it finally began to ease last night.  My appetite has returned as well.  The afternoon was hard on Philip since he was used to getting a nap around lunch so around 3:00, he was getting really cranky and whiny but he was a trooper.  I thought about putting him down for a nap around 1:00 or so but was afraid the movers would finish up while he was asleep and I wanted both boys to see the truck close and drive away.

The truck was loaded and the doors were closed...
We waved goodbye...
And off it went...
After the truck was gone, all four of us crashed.  I didn't nap well due to so many things running through my mind and worrying that I sent something on the truck that I needed (like Charlie's belt).  :\  But...there's not much I can do about it now so no need to worry about it.

Our plane doesn't leave until May 29th so in the meantime, we're camping in the house.  We did end up with a couch, a microwave, beds and a TV.  I think we'll manage. 
The only obstacle is I have no pots and pans to cook on so we may be eating alot of dinners out.  We did end up borrowing towels and pillows from the Moores just so we didn't have to pack them in our luggage.  Those take up LOTS of room in valuable luggage space.  When I mentioned it to Kathy, she offered to feed us dinner as well and we gladly accepted. 

And, obviously, we're having to keep the boys occupied with no toys in the house.  However, kids are creative and they have had the most fun with...take a wild guess...
packing tape!  The movers left a couple of rolls.
 I'll close with my comment to Daniel yesterday as the truck was leaving...

"Well, there's definitely no turning back now 'cause there it goes..."

1 comment:

Beth A said...

Aw, I know that had to be a tough day. We will miss having you guys close by! I know you will all have a blast overseas though!!