I don't remember exactly how we started the conversation but it was something to the effect of "Do you want to move?" And Charlie's immediate response was, "Yes!" His first thought was..."I know what we'll take! This whole room!" referring to the dining room we were sitting in. Daniel explained to him that we couldn't take the whole house but that we could take the stuff that's in it. So on the conversation went...
C: "What about my Legos?" Us: "You'll be able to take those with you."
C: "We can't take this whole table with us. It's too big!" This comment came after discussing that we will be going to England on an airplane.
We talked to him about when we were moving and explained that it would be after his birthday in May. C: "Why are we going to go after my birthday?" Us: "That's just when we're supposed to go and you have to finish school." C: "In June?" Us: "No." C: "In May?" Us: "Yes." C: "Like when the pool opens?"
Daniel and I told them our stuff will be going on a moving truck and then will go on a BIG boat. We had the conversation of who will drive the truck and who will drive the boat.
C: "Are we going to take my suitcase?" "Are we going to take our car to the airport?"
Our conversation was focused alot on the BIG boat...C: "Is it bigger than a jet ski?" "Is it bigger than Kaylee's boat?" This prompted Daniel to show them pictures on the internet of a BIG boat and an airplane. They both got a kick out of that! He then showed them a map so that Charlie could see where we were going. Daniel told them again that we would be flying on an airplane over to England. C: "We have to fly all the way over that river?"
C: "Is Khaki and the kitty going to go too?"
Us: "No. They are going to have to stay here." :( (You can ask me about my breakdown about these two that happened a few days earlier.)
C: "Are we going to move back?"
Us: "Yes. But it will be a long time before we do."
C: "Well, where are we going after we get back from England?"
Us: "We'll come back here to Georgia."
C: "I know where we can go after England! Pennsylvannia!" So look out Evans' family...looks like we're coming your way!
That is the jist of our conversation that night. There have been many, many more questions. Charlie did ask on Sunday if he was going to go to a new school. I told him "yes". He then asked if Mrs. Harwell would be in England. I answered, "No. She'll have to stay here." I turned to Daniel at this point and said that I bet she would love to though!
Charlie kept asking who was going with us to England. Are the kids in his class? Is Ms. Kathy going? I've just told him that it just him, Philip, me and Daddy.
However, since a 5 year old has no sense of time, it's been really tough to convince him that it's not time to pack up yet. He's ready to go NOW! Daniel and I are both relieved that he is excited about a trip...even if he doesn't truly understand what all it's going to involve. I did put up a calendar in our hallway to help with the time issue. There are the months of January through May on the walls and Charlie gets to put a sticker on each day that passes. Not sure how long it will last but atleast he understands a little better how long it will be before we leave. Well, kinda. He was packing stuff in his suitcase when Daniel got home today. Daniel asked me what he was packing for. "England." I replied. We both just laughed. Charlie then asked me for some bags out of Philip's room to pack clothes in. I had to tell him (again) that it's not time to pack for England yet.
To show Charlie's excitement, he made a point to tell Kathy first thing when he saw here Sunday morning that he was moving to England and he was going on an airplane! I'm not sure she knew how to handle that news coming from him even though we've been talking about it for months.
Philip is just oblivious to it all...oh, the joy of being 2.
Charlie also had to write everything down. I hope you can read it...
If not..."Philip Daddy Charlie Airplane England Truck Work Driving (and what looks like...) NOA Truck Mommy" :) It was just too cute not to document.

No comments:
Post a Comment