Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 brings a big change

The Ward family is moving to the UK!  Cambridge to be exact.  Daniel has been offered a consultant position with Lockheed Martin to work with a company in Cambridge, England, on their fleet of C-130s.  We will be moving in May/June and will be there for 3 years.

Everyone keeps asking me if I am excited about the move.  To be honest, I am scared senseless.  The rational part of my brain tells me it is going to be a great adventure for all of us and that it is a great experience for the boys.  The emotional side of me is not ready to make that change and leave the familiar.  Daniel, however, is so excited.  I do have moments of excitment when looking at places to live and things to do in Cambridge but then I read in my expat book and the overwhelming tasks that lie ahead between now and the move make me digress.  Leaving friends and especially taking these two boys away from family just breaks my heart but I just keep telling myself that it will be worth it.  Our family of 4 will be stronger than ever! 

My main concern is the transition of Charlie and me.  Neither of us do well with change.  I'm hoping Philip's age and his laid back personality will lead to a "roll with the punches" frame of mind.  Only time will tell.

I do atleast have contacts there.  My friend, Becky, knows a family there and I have been in touch via email with the husband.  They are locals so I know they will be a great resource.  We have also been talking with a coworker of Daniel's and his wife who are now in Cambridge.  Craig is working the position that Daniel will take.  They have been a great asset even with the small amount of contact we've had thus far.

And, of course, the internet is an invaluable resource.  I've been researching schools, without much luck, but have found where and how to go about the application process for Charlie.  However, we can't do that until we have secured a home address so we'll end up at a school where there is an opening since we won't apply until right before the school year begins.  I've also been reading things on British culture, the city of Cambridge, etc.  Blogs and forums have been helpful as well.  It's amazing what pops up when you just do a general search.

So, in an attempt to document every aspect of this move, I've come back to the beloved blog.  I will try to get caught up with posts and pics from the last 6 months as well as post current ongoings.

Prayers are appreciated!

No comments: