Philip in his big boy undies!
Oct. 8th - Day one of hard core potty training for Philip. For the last week, I've been getting Philip used to just sitting on the potty. Just whenever I'd think about it, I would take him just to sit. He was reluctant at first but once I made him do it, it conquered his fear I guess and no problems after that. Philip also LOVES to read books. This fact was my life saver and is what keeps him going back to the potty. The M&M's probably help too!
The essentials...
I started him first thing in the morning. I explained to him that there would be no more diapers and we were going to wear big boy underwear now. He wasn't too sure about that at first but soon got excited to put on Elmo or Grover undies. I started with 20 minute intervals. Every time the timer would go off though, I'd find Philip wet. :\ I got tired of changing wet undies after a while so I made him go without and went to 10 minute intervals. So, to my dismay, Philip was running around without underwear for the rest of the morning. Yes, there is a risk involved in that but, to my surprise, he felt the need to go better. I kept telling him to tell me when he needed to go tee tee. He would tell me "book" which meant he wanted to go to the potty and read. We had a couple of false alarms but around noon, SUCCESS!
Then came naptime. Oh how I loved naptime today! It meant that I didn't have to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes for atleast two hours! It was glorious! Then, Philip got up from his nap dry! Now how is it that when he has control of it, he wets constantly but while he's asleep, nothing?
I kept Philip in a pullup when I went to pick up Charlie from school. I didn't want a wet car seat too. We got out of the car at school and went in to the potty for another try. Nothing. Got home and he was still dry. A couple more pairs of wet underwear later, we finally had another success. This time it was poo poo though! Would have never dreamed that would happen on the first day after the battle I've had with Charlie over that.
Charlie had soccer practice at 6:30 so it was a quick dinner and off we go. Charlie practices at a middle school and the building is not open during this time so no bathroom access. Therefore, we had to forego the training for a while. Can't say I was upset about that.
Tried a couple of times before bed but had no success.
Yes, I'll admit, I was not looking forward to this. It's just one of those tasks that must be done but you suffer the entire time. So today, after 6 wet pairs of underwear, 4 wet towels, 2 puddles on the floor and the same Noah book read 40 thousand times, I survived day one of potty training!
Oct. 9th - Whew! Day two...done! It did go better than day one. Philip didn't have an accident until around 9:30 or so but didn't pee in the potty either. He was eating in his chair and when the timer went off and I went to get him down, he was wet. I began this morning with 10 minute intervals. We did have success around 10:15 and 10:45 so I moved to 20 minute intervals. After those two times though, he just held it until naptime.
I had forgotten to turn off the timer when I put him down for his nap so it woke him up when that 20 minutes was up. He did, though, without hesitation, head to the potty. He had already wet his pullup though. Philip was wet when he got up from his nap so I put him in a clean pullup to go get Charlie from school. It is just a habit to go through the pickup line at school and as I'm leaving the parking lot, I realize that I did not get Philip out to go to the potty. :\ We stop at a Racetrac for a potty break. Charlie went first and then I went to put Philip on the potty and he panicked! So the screaming began until I had him back off the potty and his pants back up. *shrug* Needless to say, he didn't tee tee on that potty. When we got back home, Philip was still dry. I had him try again and success! He also poo poo'd the next time after that! Those were our successes for the day. He did only wet his pants once more this afternoon. I had GSOP class after dinner so I left the boys in Daddy's hands. I didn't get a chance to ask Daniel if he continued the training or not.
Oct. 10th - And...day three...it's only day three!?! Seems like I've been at this for a week! Yes, it is getting easier each day for Philip. No, it's not getting easier on Mama. Today went well. We're still on 20 minute intervals. Had a few successes this morning. He was on an every hour schedule. I've still got him in no undies for now. Philip still doesn't like not having any on. But, going this route, I am able to catch him midstream and take him to the potty to finish. The one time I put undies on him this morning, he made a huge puddle on the carpet in his room. :\ Philip is catching on though. He tee tee'd right before his nap and that was him looking down because he had the "feeling", reaching down to aim and the Hallelujah chorus was heard!
Philip is all about his two M&M's. He is so disappointed when he only gets one. Every time he gets off the potty he says, "Two?" and holds up his two pointer fingers. I just have to respond with a "No. You only get two when you tee tee on the potty." Right now he's only eating blue ones. It started with brown then went to green. Now, it's blue.
He woke up from his nap dry. I took him to the potty as soon as he got up and success! I left him in his pullup to get Charlie from school and the rest of the afternoon. He only had one accident. I had some errands to run so we did those quickly and made our way to Chick-Fil-A for dinner before Bible Study. No luck there but he did pee on the potty at the church building. That was a new thing! However, he sprayed my shoe before I could get control of the aim. Boys... The rest of the night was uneventful...
January 28th - 113th day... :) I guess after the 3rd day, I just got tired of the same ole pee pee pants stories. I found this post waiting to be published. I guess I was going to write about each day but as you can see only made it to day 3. Looking back, it was a tough week but Philip caught on pretty quickly. Those first few days, I was afraid it was going to be as hard a job as Charlie was (and honestly, still is some days) but Philip surprised me. He now is fully potty trained...pee pee and poo poo and it is glorious! He's been trained for some time now. As any 2 yr old, Philip still has an occasional accident and we are entering the phase of not wanting to stop what you're doing to go tee tee but that is so much better than puddles on the floor!
The best difference between my two boys is that Philip will tell me when he has to go tee tee or poo poo. And, he'll tell whoever is around him. He doesn't like being in wet pants or dirty pants. Charlie, at 5, almost 6, still doesn't care. (Sorry C if you're reading this and you're like 30. It was just life for you.)
So, second child potty-trained...check!

1 comment:
Spectacular news!!! Boy, will that be helpful on your long plane ride coming up. Miss you!
Post a Comment