Tuesday, April 17, 2012

handmade Christmas gifts

December 2011 - In my usual fashion, making gifts was a given this Christmas. I love doing these types of things even in the midst of compiling so many. I do wonder why I have to be such a perfectionist while making gifts but that's just my nature so in my late night assembling adventures, I just have to keep telling myself that God made me this way for a reason. Maybe one day I'll figure out why. :) 

Anyway, teacher gifts were up first...they got Peppermint Bark Popcorn and Snowman Soup. Below is a picture of the final products. You can see on some of them where Charlie wrote his teachers' names.

The snowman soup contained a package of hot chocolate, marshmallows, Hershey's kisses and a candy cane. The card on it read:
Pour the packet in a mug.
Add the snowballs too!
Throw in the sweet kisses
from little Charlie/Philip to you.
Now add some hot water.
Use the cane to stir it around.
We pray that God's blessings on you
continue to abound!

The Peppermint Bark Popcorn was so yummy! I ended up making more for friends of mine and packaged them in these little containers I found in the dollar spot at Target.

Here is the recipe for the popcorn:
Peppermint Bark Popcorn
Recipe by Our Best Bites
Ingredients
16 C popped popcorn* (fresh, or about 2 bags microwave popcorn)
1 lb almond bark
1 6 ounce box candy canes, crushed (about 1 generous cups, Bob’s brand are best!)
1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil or 2 teaspoons peppermint extract**
3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
*if you’re using microwave popcorn, try to find an unbuttered or “natural” kind because this looks much prettier if the popcorn isn’t bright yellow! Lightly salted is fine, I actually like a little salt in there, but avoid heavy buttered.

** If you can find flavored oils, like you would use for candy making, use them as they will best combine with the almond bark. If using extract, it’s not unusual for it to cause the almond bark to seize, but just stir quickly and pour immediately on popcorn. Once distributed it will be just fine.

Instructions
Place popcorn in a very large mixing bowl.
Melt almond bark according to package instructions. When completely melted, add extract or peppermint oil. If using extract, it’s normal for the almond bark to seize (get lumpy) which is okay, just stir very quickly, the more you wait the more it will seize.
Pour melted almond bark mixture over popcorn and pour crushed candy canes on top. Stir to evenly coat. Pour popcorn out onto waxed paper, parchment, or foil and spread out.
Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Drizzle over popcorn mixture. Let mixture dry completely until chocolate and almond bark are hardened. You may place in the fridge to speed process along.
When chocolate is hardened, use your hands to break up popcorn into chunks. Toss in a bowl, a jar, a cute package, or in your mouth :)

My big project was scarves. This was my sewing project at Kathy's for this year. I always love spending countless hours at her house making Christmas gifts. Not only does she help me but she is such great company and we really get our bonding time in.  These turned out fabulous and everyone seemed to love them!  I was so happy about that.

No comments: