Tuesday, July 20, 2010

worship

I am so thankful for the church that meets at Piedmont Rd. We are blessed to have such a wonderful church family. I have also begun to see more of the benefits now that Charlie is growing up there. There's definitely something to be said for having your children there on the pew with you each time the doors are open. At 3, Charlie already understands what worship and Bible/Sunday school are.

What's been exciting the last couple of weeks is that he is getting to participate. Sunday was either the third or fourth time he has made a monetary contribution. He has a specific container we put his penngies (pennies) in to take with us on Sunday mornings. He knows just when it's time to put them in and asks for them. He gets excited about it. Charlie helps to pass the communion plates to me as well. And, of course, he wants some. We just tell him "no" and he has learned to accept that. I look forward to the day when we can explain the significance of this act of worship and he actually understand.

Another other thing Charlie has begun doing is singing. What a joyful sound! I've always enjoyed hearing little kids sing during worship but when it's your own child, it's that much better. He's been waving his arm around like the song leader for a while now and Daniel noticed a while back that after the song leader says which verses we are going to sing, Charlie will imitate the pitch pipe sound. But, as of Sunday, Charlie was also making a joyful noise right along with the rest of us during each song. It was mostly just sounds and "dah dah dah". I couldn't help but grin.

Charlie has also learned the order of things. Not that it's necessary but we humans tend to do things the same way over and over and the order of worship is no different most of the time. Charlie has become enthralled with the fooseball table in our fellowship hall and wants to go play every time we are at the building. Daniel is great to take him for a few minutes each time after worship or class, which ever is last on that day. But, during worship, Charlie will say to me, "One more song then go play balls?" Or, "Prayer then go play balls?" Sometimes I even get, "No more sing! Go play balls." And I have even gotten a "No Mr. Neil talk!" Sorry Neil! :)

He is coming out of Sunday School and Bible Study telling us all about what story they talked about. We've talked lots about Daniel in the lion's den and Noah's ark. It's been incredible to see him learn and retain these things. But, it's been fun to hear him talk about them as well.

The church building is one of the places Charlie enjoys and he feels very comfortable there. I pray that remains throughout the rest of his life.

1 comment:

Neil Richey said...

What a great post...Keep up the good work!