Tuesday, April 27, 2010

potty training successes...

We've had some pretty good progress in the potty training dept. I think it's finally setting in. I got pretty spoiled with the pull-ups, well, lazy more than spoiled. But, this also made Charlie backslide as well. I began the end of last week with Charlie in big boy underwear again. Charlie seems to be catching on much better than before. I don't have to coerse him as much to go to the potty and in the last couple of days, he has actually been telling me he has to go...even at home. I haven't cleaned up a puddle in a while and it's been nice. Charlie still wets his pants sometimes but he seems to realize that's bad and will stop the flow. He'll tell me "tee tee" and will finish in the potty.

I braved the outside world yesterday with Charlie in undies. We took our usual trip to Walmart and Publix. Charlie used the potty before we left and while we were in Publix. He, of course, had to get his cookie first, but then told me had needed to go. He was dry the whole trip! In my head, I had bad images of cleaning up pee but knew I had to take the maiden voyage sometime. :)

I've taken the approach of backing off and not fighting Charlie to go to the potty. I simply ask or make the request to go to the potty. If he puts up a fight, I let it go and ask again a few minutes later. He's pretty good about going when he needs to. Distractions are still an issue and probably always will be. Many times I'll ask if he needs to go to the potty and he'll say "no" but just a few minutes later, he tells me "tee tee". So if it's just planting the idea in his head so that he realizes he needs to go, then I call that success!

I've also learned Charlie's "pee pee dance". It's the usual rocking back and forth on his feet but I've mastered recognizing it. I've even seen the knees cross a couple of times. Poor thing. It can get pretty funny though to watch.

A few weeks ago, on a Saturday, Charlie decided he wanted to stand up to tee tee. Who was I to object? It took a couple of days for him to get the hang of it but now he is a pro.

No progress in the poo poo dept. but I'm taking pride in how far we've come. It's been a tough battle. You wouldn't know it from his success chart though! I think it's time for a new one...

1 comment:

Ann said...

Congratulations - that's a scary maiden voyage. So proud of Charlie! I loved the photo of the chart btw.