Monday, October 5, 2009

reunion weekend

The last weekend in September, we traveled home to AL for Daniel's 10 year high school reunion. We made it in town for the Homecoming Parade and got to watch Daniel ride on the "Class of 1999" truck. He looked like he was having fun. Charlie enjoyed the parade. We weren't standing close enough to the parade to catch any candy...we had found a shady spot. It was so humid and hot! Charlie got excited to hear the sirens of the fire trucks and police cars but when they got near, he retreated. We were able to watch the parade with my dad and Daniel's parents. Charlie enjoyed the fountain downtown as well. He so wanted to get in water or atleast touch it. Thank goodness it's built so that you can't do that unless you jump the railing.
The highlight of the weekend was taking Charlie to the high school football game Friday night. We watched the Elba Tigers beat up on Geneva. Charlie loves to watch "coo-ball" on TV so it was a real treat for him to watch it in person. He was just mesmerized by all the action, the sounds, etc. We made a few rounds in the crowd to visit old friends and relatives. Charlie was a trooper and we ended up staying the whole game. My dad went to the game as well so you know where Charlie was most of the game...right there with "wee". I heard it many times..."He is just so cute! I love the curls!" You'd think I would get tired of hearing that, but I don't. :) I just smile and say "thank you". It's God's handiwork...every inch of him! (Well, Daniel and I are pretty cute too so that had something to do with it, right?)

This picture tells the joy of the night...
After the game, Daniel and I went to the NS conference center where his class was having their reunion party. We left Charlie in bed at Grandpa's house. It was a decent crowd and I was happy to see friends that I don't get to talk to much anymore. Since Daniel and I have been dating since h.s. and it's a very small town, I knew most of the people in his class and was in band with many of them as well. I especially enjoyed talking with Reese that night. Miss you! I was glad she made an appearance.

Saturday afternoon, Daniel's class had a family get together. This crowd was small but we enjoyed it all the same. Charlie especially enjoyed playing with Jack. He still asks about him.

The rest of our weekend was spent with family. We got to see my sister and BIL on Saturday night for dinner and got to watch the AU game. Well, they watched. Laura and I talked. We missed mom not being in town but she had more important matters to tend to with my grandmother in TN. It was just kind of strange being at their house and her not being there.

We were also able to visit Daniel's grandmother on Saturday afternoon. It's always fun to go visit her and she still lights up when Charlie comes to visit. He tried to get away, like all little kids do, but she got her some lovin' in.
Sunday was worship, time with Daniel's parents and a trip to visit his sister and her family. They have redone their living area and b'fast nook in their house so I was excited to see the new look. It looks fabulous! I'm so jealous! My SIL just has a knack for that and it shows. My BIL also is a wonderful craftsman. I can't call him a "carpenter" because it just doesn't do his work justice. He crafted a beautiful entertainment center for the room. I think I need to hire him!

Our trip back to ATL was hectic in that Charlie only slept about an hour and a half of the 4.5 hour drive. I drove while the boys slept and then entertained while Daniel drove the rest of the way. One word after this weekend...exhausted!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Thanks for the sweet compliments Melissa. We enjoyed your visit too!