I did find Charlie some cute sandals for a reasonable cost. No stride rites...man, those things are expensive! I shopped at the big dept. stores before finding some cute ones at Payless. I managed to get a few other things while shopping in the kids' dept. :) I love sales!
Friday was one of Daniel's days off so we all slept in some. We dropped Daniel's jeep off at the Goodyear place to have his brakes checked. He said they had been acting a little strange and were starting to grind. We then took the loaner car back to the dealership since our car was ready to be picked up. The guy at the Goodyear place called and said the jeep's brakes definitely needed replacing...so over $800 later...we're back in business. Don't forget that my car needs new rear brakes too! Why do these things always happen at the same time?
Once Charlie was down for a nap and I had eaten lunch, I went running around town to get table decorations. I was asked by a lady at church if I would do the decorations for the upcoming men's prayer breakfast. In the month of June, the ladies of the congregation cook and serve the men breakfast for Father's Day. I said I would but was a little nervous about it just because I've got alot of other things going on.
I didn't want to do flowers so I was looking for something more masculine. I have some glass bowls that I used at a baby shower recently so I decided to try and do something with them again. I found cattails at Joann's so I ran with it. It turned into a nature theme with frogs and turtles. I got so excited to see how they would turn out that I sat down that night and arranged them in the bowls.
I spent a little more money than I had really intended to so I was trying to come up with other things around the house to use so I could return a few things. I got this brilliant idea to use some of the pea gravel in our back yard instead of the river rock I had bought. Now, we don't have a little planter or anything in our yard that has lots of pea gravel. We have pea gravel buried in the dirt where it was used many years ago in a planter. It's just on the top but as you dig it up, you get dirt and grass with it so it required me to wash it. I won't go into much detail because I'm a little embarrassed but many buckets of water with the faucet outside and then a bathtub full of rocks and mud, I get a decent amount of rocks to use. Here's you a visual...me sitting on the side of our garden tub with my feet in the tub...couple inches of reddish brown water with grass floating on top...LOTS of little rocks and mud on the bottom that you can't see because the water is so brown...armed with a plastic bowl and a collander. That's all I'm saying about it! :)
I thought the bowls turned out really cute. Below are pics. I'll post better pics after the breakfast when everything is put together on the tables.

Saturday, we slept in as much as Charlie would let us and took it easy for the most part. We had a church picnic that afternoon at 4:00. The crowd was a little smaller than usual but we still had a great time. There were alot of little kids there so Charlie had fun playing...mostly on the playground. He did swing in a big swing for the first time and did great. I did manage though to let him slip out of my hands one time getting him out of the swing and he bit the dust. He had dirt from head to toe, including in his mouth, so he apparently didn't use his hands to catch himself. Luckily, it wasn't much of a fall so it didn't hurt him, just startled him. I did feel pretty bad though. Here are a few pics from the event:We have a summer intern for the youth at church and since Daniel and I head up the youth committee, we feel like we need to be a part of the events. Saturday night was no different. However, they were headed to Stone Mountain for the laser light show that started at about 9:30 pm so I had to be the responsible parent and not go so Charlie could go to bed. That was tough for me. But, I was able to come home and get everything ready for my scrapbooking night coming up. Daniel had volunteered to drive the van but ended up not going since there was another couple going that could drive them there.
Sunday was jam packed with things to do but we had a sudden change of plans. I woke Charlie up Sunday morning and he seemed to be dragging really bad. I just figured he wore himself out too much playing outside at the picnic the day before. We all got ready and headed to church. Charlie continued to poke along. When I went in to get him from Sunday school, he was just sitting in his chair watching the other kids play. This is very unusual in that he is one to take any opportunity to play with the toys. His teacher said he wasn't quite himself. We went on to church. Again, I was just thinking he was just overly tired. He was quite clingy in church though. We had a potluck after worship for our graduates. We put Charlie in a high chair and I got to looking at him and he just looked like he felt awful. You could see it in his eyes. I asked a friend of mine who has a little one if she had a thermometer. She did so I checked Charlie's temp. 101.3...time to go home. Daniel and I loaded everything up and headed that way. We stopped and got lunch along the way since we were missing the potluck.
I gave Charlie some Tylenol when we got home and he just laid on me for a while. I checked his temp again before I put him down for a nap...103. I immediately called the nurse. As I talked to her, Charlie drifted off to sleep. The nurse asked me a ton of questions but just told me since there weren't any other symptoms, just to keep a check on him and his temp and keep with the fluids and tylenol. She said not to let the number scare me but to check how Charlie was acting/responding. This was the first time Charlie's temp had ever spiked this much. I could tell Daniel was really worried but I was trying my best to hide my concern. I had already planned to run to Michael's to grab a few things for my scrapbooking night so I left Daniel at home with Charlie, since he was napping, and went shopping. It was probably good to get my mind off of it and on to something else. When I returned, Daniel said he was afraid to go to sleep and that he had been checking on Charlie periodically without waking him up. He hit the sheets the minute I walked in though. :) I woke Charlie up from his nap to check his temp and the afternoon went from there.
Daniel headed on to church and went to the youth activity that was scheduled for that night. Charlie and I had a quiet evening at home of just lounging on the couch. I did get a little activity out of Charlie but he really just wanted to lay around. I can't blame him. If I had a temp like he had, I'd be in bed too and wanting my mama. His temp hit 104 about 9:00 that night and I almost panicked and rushed him to the ER but, I called the nurse back instead. She reassured me and we went through the questions again just to make sure nothing had changed. She just told me the same things and said since his temp was high, to check him every four hours through the night to make sure he was still responsive and things hadn't changed. So, the alarm was set and it was back to waking up in the middle of the night.
Monday morning was more of the same. Charlie's fever was about the same...ranging from 101 to 103. I called the pediatrician as soon as we were up. They got me in that afternoon. I mentioned to a friend of mine that you know something is wrong when Charlie takes a nap in the morning. He is normally bouncing around until you make him lay down.
The pediatrician looked him over. I figured it was his ears again since that's been the only thing he's had before that the only symptom was a fever. Ears were clear but he had a really red throat. Strep test was done...negative. So, it's a viral infection. No antibiotic atleast. Just more of the same...fluids and tylenol. She said the virus she had been seeing in other kids made them run a fever for about 72 hours. His fever was 99 in the office and stayed around that the rest of the afternoon.
We had Monday Night for the Master at church that night, which, of course, Charlie and I missed...he's contagious...but Daniel went. My scrapbooking night was scheduled for that night as well and I really wanted to go. Not only because I love going and getting pages done but I needed a break. Luckily, the lady's house that we meet at is near the church building. I headed over with Charlie in tow to swap cars and baby with Daniel around 8:00 when MNFTM was over. He took Charlie back home and put him to bed and I headed to scrapbooking. I had tons of fun and got two pages done! I usually can only get one page done. At this point, Charlie had been Tylenol free for most of the day. I just told Daniel to check his temp before he put him to bed and give him Tylenol if it was over about 101.
When I got home, Daniel said Charlie's fever had spiked back up to over 103 so he had given him more Tylenol about 9:00. That meant I had to check him again at 1:00 am. Yay, another night of getting up in the middle of the night.
Charlie's fever was down all night and this morning. It did hit 102 when I checked it before he went down for a nap today. His appetite is back somewhat but we're just doing the fluids and Tylenol as needed right now. He is in much better spirits today, playing and running even so I can definitely tell he feels much better. he started getting fussy again around lunch so I had a feeling his fever had come back.
So, I'm just chilling at the house while we wait out this viral infection...hope your week is going better...atleast I've got stuff to do like more table decorations, etc. I am enjoying the cuddle time with Charlie but I hate that he feels so bad. It's bittersweet.



No comments:
Post a Comment