I made my mom's recipe of camp stew on Monday and have been enjoying every bite this week. It makes a huge pot so we gave some away to a couple at church who are both under the weather right now. I wasn't able to present it in true Melissa Lester style. Maybe, next time, although I'm not sure I'm truly capable. She amazes me. Anyway, I also put a portion of the stew in the freezer for another day.
Since it has been a little cooler this week, it's been a nice way to warm up on a cold day. Serve it with some crackers and sliced cheese. Yum! It's even better leftover! It's similar to brunswick stew so if you're interested, here is the recipe:
Camp Stew
3 cans Castleberry's BBQ beef
3 cans Castleberry's BBQ pork
3 cans Sweet Sue's BBQ chicken
2 lg. cans diced tomatoes
1 can butter beans
1 can whole kernel corn
Mix all ingredients and simmer for about an hour. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
I usually have trouble finding the Castleberry's BBQ pork and Sweet Sue's BBQ chicken. This time I used the Lloyd's brand. It's in the refrigerated section with the processed stuff like Country Crock mashed potatoes, Hormel's Pot Roast, etc. It comes in a mustard yellow plastic bowl with a red lid. The Castleberry cans are 10 oz. cans so I just bought the same ounce amount in the Lloyd's. Actually, I had to buy extra because the Lloyd's came in 18 oz. containers. I ended up using a container and a half of each and decided to use the leftover meat for BBQ sandwiches. Wal-Mart didn't have any of it. I checked two Publix's and both had the Castleberry's BBQ beef but the shelf space for the Castleberry's BBQ pork was empty. No sign of the Sweet Sue's BBQ chicken anywhere. So...Lloyd's BBQ pork and BBQ chicken it was. It was still a wonderful stew, just a little sweeter than normal.
1 comment:
You are so sweet to mention me in your post! I will have to give this camp stew recipe a try. I'm sure if it is your mom's recipe, it will be great!
Post a Comment