Sunday, November 23, 2008

things that go bump...and bump and bump and bump...

Yes. I'm ashamed to say, Charlie went for a tumble down the stairs on Thursday. I know...I know...it happens to every kid but this time it was my kid and it was totally my fault. I was getting ready to go next door to visit my neighbor and her son. I had opened the gate at the top of the stairs to go out and needed to grab one more thing. Charlie was lying on his belly overlooking the top step looking down and I'm thinking "he's not going to pull himself over the edge" as I turn around...patump, patump, patump, patump...patump. Sure enough. Charlie pulled himself right over and down he went "penguin" style. Fortunately, there were only 5 steps until the landing then in turns and goes down to the basement. Unfortunately, those first 5 are wooden. I picked him up thanking the Lord there were no broken bones or a concussion or worse. He did manage to get a wallop of a bruise just under his eyebrow on his left eye. We both just sat down and cried. I was sick to my stomach the rest of the day. I went on next door to see my neighbor. When she answered the door, she could read all over my face that something was wrong. I explained to her that I didn't now what to do...ER? pediatrician? nothing? Luckily, she's at home with her second child so she just said, "Come on in. We'll get an icepack." I did call the pediatrician but Debbie was my lifesaver at that moment! Thanks, Debbie!

We had to, unexpectantly, leave out of town that night due to a death in Daniel's family which meant all of Daniel's family that we rarely see would see Charlie's black eye. They all reacted better than I thought they would though. I did get a few, "Whoa! What happened?" But most were just, "Aww, how did you get that big boo boo? Did you fall down?" Then I knew I was in the midst of experienced mommas and didn't feel judged in any way. I have had to answer the how it happened question many times though (and it's only Sunday). Don't these people understand that I don't really want to live it again? I know they're curious but must you make me repeat it for the 100th time? Guess this is my penalty for leaving the gate open and turning my head for a split second! :)

These were taken yesterday and Charlie was not happy about me taking his picture...as you can tell! Today, it's many more shades of blue, purple, red, green, etc. I guess it has to go through the colors of the rainbow before it heals. We've been talking about his 80's style makeup.


As I mentioned, one of Daniel's first cousins passed away on Wednesday. He had been fighting cancer and other complications and his body was just tired so when it came time he asked not to be put back on the ventilator on Tuesday. He leaves a wife and three kids - one in college, one is a senior in high school, and a 5 year old. Please keep the Thomas family in your prayers as they go through this difficult time especially with the holidays coming up.
So, here I sit in Elba. Home for the week! We had planned on going up to TN to visit my grandmother with my parents yesterday but due to us coming home early for the funeral, we decided to stay put here in AL for the duration. I just couldn't see putting Charlie back in that car for a 7-8 hour drive. These plans also made us have to board Khaki for the long haul...anyone want to donate to the poor family who has to give and arm and a leg to board their dog over Thanksgiving!?! Maybe Santa will be good to us this year and just leave the money in her kennel...oh, there's no such thing as Santa...what was that!?!...I'm Santa! Yikes! We're in trouble!

4 comments:

becky said...

poor little guy! welcome to boyhood. it is the first of many, i assure you!! glad he is ok!

Anonymous said...

Glad the first one is now over and your neighbor was there to help. Mommy and Daddy can't be there every sec- but God is. Charlie has lots of lessons in store for him. All part of growing up.
Retta

Elodie said...

i'm suddenly grateful that my house doesn't have stairs. poor thing. at least he's got a cool battle wound to show off. i'm glad he okay.

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

It broke my heart to hear about Mr. Freddy. We're praying for Mrs. Deann and the kids.