Monday, September 15, 2008

one-handed...

Success! Charlie will finally walk only holding one hand for support. Ever since we got him to walk while holding on to his lawn mower with one hand, we've been trying hard to get him to do it without the lawn mower. He is a smart little fella though. After he fell a couple of times with the lawn mower, he will not go near it! So we had to find something else for him to hold on to. Daniel got him to walk holding his ball in one hand. That worked ok for a day or so. Even then, it would only last for about 15 minutes because he figured out the trick and was back to whining until you gave him both hands. We did notice that if Charlie has a goal (distraction) in front of him, it's no problem, so we've been using that tactic like getting him to walk to the kitty, his fridge dj, etc. We decided to try and get a video of it last night and the camera was his distraction. I told him to walk to Daddy but once he saw that Daddy was holding the camera, off he went. Camera hog. Today, he's been walking all over the place one-handed. I was so excited! Not only for Charlie's sake but for my back's sake as well. :) He has many more falls now but Charlie just laughs and I pick him up and off he goes. I decided he needed to learn how to stand up after he falls so that I don't have to keep picking him up. No problem. He figured that out quick. Charlie hasn't whined for the other hand yet today! Success! Let's pray it lasts!

2 comments:

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

Congratulations! He'll be running all over the place before you know it!

I wanted to let you know -- I tagged you on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for your back--Soon the chase will be on!!
Retta