Friday, August 27, 2010

Philip is one month old!

What an experience it has been so far to have little Philip in our lives! He is just such a sweetie! I relish in each moment I get to cuddle and squeeze and kiss him. As with Charlie, I just love to sit and watch him sleep.

I had him in the doc's office on Wednesday. Philip is up to 10 lbs. 14 oz.! So, as you probably guessed, he is eating well...about every two hours when awake. He sleeps well and has actually given us a few nights of going to sleep around 12:30 or 1:00 am and sleeping until 6:30 or 7:00 am. I would have never guessed he would sleep that long at night at 4 weeks old! However, when Philip is awake, he wants to be bouncing. Spoiled already. I know. The bouncy seat is our salvation sometimes but I hate to keep him in it all day. We've had many nights of walking, pacing and bouncing.

The 11 to midnight or 1 am shift is the hardest for Daniel and me. Mainly because we just want Philip to go to sleep so that we can sleep. I usually take it just because I feel bad for keeping Daniel up when he's got to go to work the next day. I normally have to get up to feed Philip anyway. I am not having any issues nursing Philip. I guess I became a pro by breastfeeding Charlie for a year. Philip just latches right on. I'm just waiting on the soreness to go away.

We've yet to get Philip to take a pacifier. I think this would help with some of the fussiness between feedings so we'll keep trying. I talked with the pediatrician while in the office the other day about the fussiness. Philip also spits up alot. She said he may have a little reflux. She wasn't concerned since he's eating well and gaining weight well. He's not spitting up the majority of what he eats so we're good for now. He gets pretty fussy about an hour after he starts feeding. I've just had to be diligent about getting him to burp and Philip's doing much better. We've also tried to not lay him down as much. He seems to spit up if you do. Again, the bouncy seat has been good to help with this.

Charlie has started back to his Mother's Morning Out so I'm having to get up three mornings a week and get all three of us out the door. I'm still adjusting my schedule since I'm barely getting Charlie there on time but I'll get it soon. Philip has done fine with this. He's actually a great car rider. He just goes to sleep. I've had trouble keeping his head upright in his car seat but he seems to be gaining more strength in his neck each time we ride and I don't have to reach back there near as much.Charlie seems to be adjusting well with Philip being here. His new phrase though, that I hear constantly, is "Mommy, watch me." So, I know he's struggling with the diminished attention but is doing well with it. No major meltdowns yet. I just tell him that we can do whatever it is that he is asking for when Philip gets done feeding. I'm just trying to make sure I follow through with that as well. He is all about a schedule so Charlie tells me over and over, "After Philip gets done eating, we'll go play." or "When Philip wakes up, I do bowling." Hey...atleast he understands. :) Other than those type things, his world hasn't changed too much. He's actually growing up more. Charlie is a great helper. Too much sometimes. He's starting into the "Charlie do it" phase which has been a great thing in potty training.

Charlie still loves to give Philip kisses and get his "piggies". Charlie has had a cold this week so we've had to be even more diligent about keeping Charlie out of Philip's face and keeping him from touching Philip. I just keep telling him that he is sick and that we don't want to get Philip sick. He takes it at that and goes on about his business. Granted, I have to tell him every time but, again, I'm thankful he understands. Charlie loves his little brother. You can tell just by being around them. It is really quite sweet and believe me, I am so thankful!

No comments: