Ugh! I made a visit to the orthopaedist today. I've been having some trouble with my left knee over the last few months. Nothing that concerned me but here lately it has been causing me more pain and has begun popping every time I go up or down stairs. So, I saw my primary care physician on Thursday and he referred me to the orthopaedist. They gave me an appointment for today. Luckily, I have a wonderful neighbor that kept Charlie while I made the visit. I figured they would want x-rays and I knew Charlie wouldn't do well with that since they would have to take him out of the room to do them. The doc said x-rays looked fine. Mainly, it's my kneecap. It doesn't track right. This occurs in both knees but my right is just more of an annoyance than anything. And...the verdict...no surgery but 6 weeks of physical therapy to strenghten my quads to help relieve my knee and to strengthen my knee back to normal working status. I have to wear the brace all the time until I've gotten some strength back and then it will be just for activities like walking, running, sports, etc. The other diagnosis was pronation or overpronation. This is an "excessive inward roll of the foot while walking or running". Your foot normally rolls out as you walk so with mine rolling in, it's throwing the alignment of everything off and probably causing my knee caps to not track correctly. (You can read more about it here.) So, this leads to insoles. The nurse recommended a place called Fleet Feet. This keeps me from going to the foot specialist which would cost me a fortune in orthotics, even with insurance. We'll take that route only if necessary.
The worst thing the doctor said to me today was no more flip flops. *tear* :( Since they have no support, they are not helping me any. (This is probably why it has flared up in the last couple of months - summer!) So, I'm stuck with my tennis shoes for now and if you see me and my outfit is a fashion faux pas, blame the doc! As soon as I told Daniel, he immediately said, "And how well are you going to stick to that?" Thanks for the vote of confidence there, honey! He knows me all too well because he then asked, "Well, do you have shoes on now?" I answered yes. "Which ones?" My head bows, "my flip flops." :\ Busted! But, the upside is that I'll probably have to do some shoe shopping!
My PT is 2 days a week for 6 weeks. Since Charlie starts to MMO next week, I'm hoping to schedule my PT on those 2 days. Atleast it will give me something to do to keep my mind off my little boy not being at home. God sure does work in weird ways sometimes!
2 comments:
Sounds like what Stephanie went through...she ended up having knee surgery (don't mean to scare you there) but it finally got fixed after the third surgery (first one was just a scope basically and the the first major one they had her in therapy too quickly). Her kneecap would "bounce" out of place and was told that the "groove" in her kneecap was not as deep as it needed to be. She also has it in her other knee but it has not been bothering her enough to have the surgery on that knee. Do what the doctors say! At least cooler weather is on the way and so the flip flops can go to the closet....try and get some GOOD support tennis shoes...it does help!!!
How is it that a woman can go to the doctor and the prescription is shoe shopping?
Post a Comment