Thursday, January 8, 2009
handmade gifts
I decided even before Thanksgiving that since our finances were tight this year and I'm home all day that I would make as many of our Christmas gifts as I could. I got online and searched for hours.
I found a great pattern for these little wristlet purses and knew that my sister and sister-in-law would love them. I ended up making I think 8 of them. I made one for my mom, my MIL, my sister and my SIL. I had a cousin, who lives close by, have a birthday. She turned 19. I just made her one in the process. Also, I always give a small gift to two girls in Elba who I babysat when I lived there. I still keep in touch with them even though they are now 18 and almost 21. (Man, I'm old!) I made each of them a purse. And, lastly, I made one for a girl here in Marietta that keeps Charlie alot. She never wants me to pay her so I felt like I needed to do something to show my appreciation for all the time she gives us. (We love you, Morgan!) I think they turned out so cute. I'm gonna have to make me one at some point. The zippers took a little learning but they're not put in as a typical zipper is so it was actually quite easy.
The chapstick holders went to all the girls in my family (mom, MIL, sis, SIL, grandmothers). I also gave one to a close friend of mine and to Charlie's Sunday School teacher. These seemed to be a big hit.
The Kleenex holders were for our grandmothers, for my close friend, and for Charlie's Sunday School teacher. These were so simple to make and you can't see any of the stitching, which I was so happy about! :)
The credit card holder was for my mom. She recently had her purse stolen so she has condensed the things she carries now. I thought it would be perfect. Again, quite simple to make.
The "scoodie". A combo between a scarf and a hoodie. I made one for my BIL and one for my nephew. I thought they could just wear them around the yard and out by the fire this winter. Just something quick to throw on instead of a big coat. I mean, who needs a big coat in south AL? The pattern shows a fru fru one with faux fur but I saw a youtube video of a guy making one out of a sweatshirt and it gave me the idea. I ended up buying a black fleece throw at Wal-Mart for $3.97 and made both of them. I was extremely impressed at how they turned out. Daniel and Charlie modeled them for pictures (even though Charlie didn't like it!). But, also look for them later in Christmas pics.
As for the packaging, these are just green cardstock. I printed the template, cut it out, folded it, glued it...wa-la! Tie a red ribbon on it with a little tag. Done.
All of this I found online here. There are so many great ideas on this site! I also made some fabric boxes and handmade cards for various people but I don't have pics of them. Hey, I can't remember to get everything! I was just happy to get them done and under the tree!
So, I hope you enjoy seeing my handiwork. I was quite proud of each of them and was proud at how much money it saved us. All the fabric was given to me by my grandmother and Daniel's grandmother. Also, everyone really cherished their gifts more because they were handmade.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Okay, you are going to have to tell where you found the patterns online. I would love to try these!
There's a link in the post. I just made it red so you know it's there. The funny thing is that it came from a blogger that I found on your blog page! Recognize skiptomylou? There's tons on her page.
Looks like you kept that sewing machine busy! Everything turned out Great!
Retta
Post a Comment