Wednesday, October 15, 2008

storytime

Charlie and I attended our first storytime at the Kennesaw Library today. I was rushed to get out of the house because Charlie slept til almost 9:00, which means I slept til almost 9:00 and the storytime started at 10. Luckily, the library is just downtown which is about 5 minutes away. So, after the quickest shower ever, we ate a quick bite and out the door we go. I was really surprised at how many kids there were. The age range is 18 months to 3 years old. I decided Charlie would be fine in there even though he's not quite 18 months. I mean, three weeks shy...who cares? I could tell Charlie was a little nervous being in a crowd. That seems to be his only phobia. But, what else would you expect from a kid who stays at home with his mom all day? He still deals with separation anxiety.

My main goal in going today was to expose him to new people. Charlie gets freaked out by new people. He doesn't just get shy, he gets upset. So, I am on a mission to find ways to expose him to more people. Any ideas? Charlie screamed when I put him down on the floor. I only did it so I could sit down with him. I sat him back in my lap and he was fine after that.

The lady who does the storytime is a hoot! I told Daniel she should have been in a Barney suit. She was just that exuberant! The kids LOVED it though! We sang songs, jumped around, and she read three books somewhere in all of that. By the end, Charlie was crawling around though so that made me feel better about him. It's going to be a fun activity to do each week and I'm sure Charlie will grow to look forward to it as he gets older. Fun, free and puts Charlie in a crowd...what else could you ask for?

Check out this cute picture I got when we got back home. And, no, I didn't pose him. He's just that cute sometimes!

1 comment:

Becky W said...

We still LOVE story time and we are 5 and 6!! I am so glad you had a good time. Have you thought about starting a play group with other mommies from church? We live for Thursdays around here - that is when we have ours!