Well, we ventured into the world of the "big boy" cup. Charlie loves to drink out of my and Daniel's cups at mealtimes with our help. He seems to have always had an obsession with cups and has always known what to do with them. I've been letting him drink out of mine on his own at lunchtime most days. And, yes, we have had a couple of "dump it in the lap" times. But how else are you going to learn? :) Well, this morning at breakfast, all of Charlie's sippy cups were in the dishwasher and it was running so I got the bright idea to see how he would do with his own size big boy cup. It went ok for the most part. He has trouble knowing to turn it up so that he can get any out because I only put like a 1/4 of an inch worth in the cup. This, of course, would cause him to get frustrated and scream. On a tangent for a moment...if you don't mind...all you moms out there...how do you get your child to not scream at what he wants? I mean, I would settle for a squeal or anything of the sort but I get the shrill scream especially if you are not right on top of it! He's learning to point but it is now accompanied with not just a cute little grunt or whine but an all out scream. Any suggestions would be welcome...maybe I won't have pulled all my hair out before he grows out of it! I mean a whole day of it will take it out of a woman! Ok...back on subject...big boy cups. So, we tried it. Like anything, it will take some practice but we'll keep working on it. Below are the pictures to commemorate the occasion...oh, and check out that breakfast! I was a good mommy and Charlie got eggs, grapes and toast for breakfast! Much better than Cheerios/fruit or oatmeal/fruit any day...


3 comments:
Sorry, I have no advice for persuading Charlie not to scream when he wants something. But, if you get any good ideas, please let me know so I can use them on myself. ;-)
Wow he is growing up so fast! They all do unfortunately.
About the screaming it still comes and goes at age 3, but it does seem to taper off a little when they learn to communicate better. I've heard that teaching them sign language before they can talk helps. We tried that, but Taylor quickly learned to speak the words as I was teaching him the signs. Maybe when he's able to tell you why he is frustrated he won't scream so much. Good luck!
Jeff didn't really scream that much, but we taught him "baby signs". We dinn't get to teach him too much before he began learning words, but he still used the signs until he got verbal language down to where we could understand it.
Post a Comment