Tuesday, August 7, 2007

sad times...

Warning: If you are a member of my family, you may want to skip reading this post.

Well, we all go through sad times in our lives. I had one this past week/weekend. My paternal grandmother passed away last week. Her funeral was on Saturday in Dayton, TN. I am really going to miss her and visiting her in TN. I always loved doing that. I have so many wonderful memories of her and of my grandfather. Just things like watching my grandfather play with his doberman pinscher, named Goldie, at this big tree by their house. He had the biggest rope I had ever seen hanging from that tree and that dog would just shake and pull that rope as hard as she could with Grandpa tugging and pulling as well. I remember going up to the garden with my grandmother and either picking what was ripe or just dumping scraps from the huge meal we just finished. And, of course, I remember rolling down the hill in front of their house when I was a kid. I would race my cousins to see who would make it down first. I remember catching fireflies in jars. That memory comes back every time I see a firefly. Granny was always excited to see how many I had caught. Man, we had some great times!

I realized just how much she loved her family by all the things that were said about her this weekend. She was an incredible woman. I hate I didn't really know her better but I always knew just how much she loved me. I saw a couple of weeks ago just how much she loved her great grandchildren. She got to spend some time with Charlie and he just cooed and laughed for her. She was glowing! That look is how I will always remember her. The hardest part for me this weekend was seeing my dad say goodbye to his mother. That was just heartbreaking. The other was just thinking about how Charlie will never know her. I'm lucky in that I got to know her for my 28 years.

I also got to see pictures of her when she was little and high school age. She was beautiful! I've never seen those pictures before. I had a couple of people mention how much I look like her. I've never really noticed that and have never had anyone say that, but after seeing her pictures, I can see the resemblance.

Reality truly set in as we left TN on Sunday. I got in the car and realized that I forgot to hug someone...her. I looked up to see her waving goodbye with both hands as she has always done and she wasn't there. So, as we passed the cemetary on our way out of town, I had to say my final goodbye. I love you, Granny. I will miss you terribly.




No comments: