Today was Charlie's 2 year well visit to the pediatrician. Everything went well. His appt was at 8:20 am so we were one of the first ones in the office which made the wait very short. But, that did mean that I had to get up at the crack of dawn this morning so I could fight the traffic to get there on time. (I was still a little late. :/ oh well.) Charlie actually did pretty well. He usually cries the whole time a nurse or the doc is in the room. He did fine except for when the nurse laid him down to measure him and the doc laid him down to examine him. But, he did let the pediatrician use her stethoscope on him and look in his ears, etc.
Some of the questions I was asked: is he a good eater; how much milk does he drink; how much juice does he drink; tap or bottled water; bottle or sippy cup; can he eat with a fork/spoon; can he problem solve (like figuring something out or puzzles, etc.); does he stack things; can he open and close doors (I laughed at this one); does his vocabulary consists of atleast 50 words; does he put two words together; bedtime and get up times; naps; does he play well with other kids; and can he climb stairs (with me holding his hand). That's all I can remember. The answer to all of these is "yes" except for the vocabulary questions. We did have a development this morning that I was glad to share. As Daniel left for work today, Charlie was telling him bye over and over and we did hear a "bye dada". That was the first time we have heard him put two words together. I've noticed lately that he's progressing in his speech so I've not worried about it. People keep telling me that boys develop slower.
Since Charlie has not developed his vocabulary enough, the ped recommended I take him to a Speech-Language Pathologist. (I'm so praying our insurance will cover it.) I've got to call and make the appt at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. There's another program she told me about which is called Babies Can't Wait. They have a speech therapist on staff that would work just as good. The program has alot of red tape though but would be the cheaper route if insurance won't cover it. I talked with my neighbor today and she said her insurance covered 90% for her daughter so I'm hopeful. I'll update later when I find out more info.
Charlie's stats are: weight - 27 lbs. (35%); height - 34 3/4" (75%); head circumference - 20 1/4" (97%). The ped showed me his chart where they have been marking his progress and he took a big jump in weight and height over the last six months. I could tell because he outgrew his 18 and 24 month clothes all of a sudden - shirts were too short and too tight and any one-piece outfit wouldn't snap at the bottom. And 97th percentile on the head circumference! I keep saying this kid has a big ole noggin! There's the proof!
They pricked his toe to check his iron (hemaglobin) and it was a 12.3. They were looking for atleast an 11. He got one shot today. It was the last of the Hepatitis A shots. So all in all it was a good visit.
1 comment:
Sounds like Charlie is growing fast. Hard to believe your sweet boy is two.
We used CHOA for speech and occ. therapy for William and the early intervention has made all the difference. Call or email me sometime if you want to talk. William was in therapy for almost three years. I know a little bit about the state program also, but we never completely qualified for that one since William was right at 35 months when he was diagnosed.
Post a Comment