Wednesday, June 25, 2008

growing God's kingdom...how?

Alright all you bloggers out there and my friends and family who read my blog...I need your input. The elders at my church have chosen a few people to take a hard look at our congregation and come up with a long range plan for our church. Our congregation is pretty stagnant and hasn't really grown or done much for the community for a while now. It's time to step it up and I need your help. I would really appreciate it if you would take a few minutes and tell me about the church you attend. Here are some of the things I am looking for but please tell me as much as you want:

What drew you to the church you attend? What did you like about it? What did you not like about other churches?
What programs/ministries do you have at your church? Are they successful? Why or why not?
What do you like most about the worship service? What would you change?
How does your church reach out to the community?
How does your church reach out to its members, i.e. youth, children, adults, seniors, etc.?

These are just a few questions I would ask you in person but, again, please feel free to tell me anything. You can leave your thoughts as a comment or e-mail me. If you don't have my e-mail, let me know and I'll figure out a way to get it to you. I would really appreciate it if you can help. Thanks so much! I figured this would be the best way to get a wide range of info from a wide range of churches.

4 comments:

Amanda G. said...

Wow what insightful questions. I would email you but couldn't find your email address. Here's a short answer. :)

Well I am pretty sure you know where I go to church. Look us up on the web (there's a link from my blog) with lots of info too.

One of the biggest things I love about it is that it is a very open place. It doesn't matter where you come from but you feel welcome. Life Groups help with that but just the overall atmosphere is that way. When people go forward during an invitation they never go alone even if they don't know a soul in the room.

One of our biggest community outreaches now is a Wednesday night class for people overcoming addictions of any kind from alchohol to pornography. It's like an AA meeting but there is a devotional and very Christ centered message there. I think around 50 or more come each week and some are there for help while others are mentors. We've had more baptisms and new members from that group over the last couple of years.

We are actually working on making some improvements as we have grown to such a size it's like you start to lose your focus. So some ministries are dying out while new ones are jumping in. We are really trying to stress reaching the community more (a branch off from our missions ministry growing) On Tuesday and Thursdays around lunch time there are several guys that use our gym to play basketball. Don't know how it started, but now when they come some of our members and ministers might play with them or keep score then give a little devo time at the half and just get to know them. It's really new but a few guys have since come to church from it.

well hope that helps. Sorry it's a LONG comment. :) You know where to find me for more.

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

Melissa, these are good questions! I'm interested to see the comments you get.

What drew you to the church you attend? What did you like about it?
We felt as though God led us here. Also, we were drawn to the openness of the people to what God wanted to do, their willingness to reach out and serve. It was obvious that Bethany BC had so much potential and room for growth. We want to be where God is working.

What did you not like about other churches? I don't like being in churches that are fake or so slick they lose their focus.

What programs/ministries do you have at your church? Are they successful? Why or why not? Since we just got here, I'm not sure about all of them, but I've noticed we have a pretty active girls' group (GAs) and boys' group (RAs). Gunter and I are working on the youth group. We're in the process of starting some new ministries, such as a newcomers' outreach, a greeters ministry and some others yet to be organized.

What do you like most about the worship service? What would you change?
I like how the worship service is done. We sing a mix of hymns and choruses, and I like both. I'd like to have more group prayer during services.

How does your church reach out to the community?
Right now, we have visitation on Tuesday nights, and people reach out themselves through word-of-mouth. VBS is also a big outreach. We're hoping we can reach some of the unchurched people moving into subdivisions on our road.

How does your church reach out to its members, i.e. youth, children, adults, seniors, etc.?
Each of these groups have classes (e.g. youth group, Sunday school, discipleship training), but they also do things together here and there. For example, our women are spending the weekend at Atlanta together at a women's conference.

Like I said, I'm still just getting to know the church and we're in a transition-growth period right now. Hope this helps!

Dana said...

I guess the biggest thing that drew me to the church I attend is the hot preacher ;). Ha Ha

We haven't been here long but these are the things that I love about it and the things that visitors have commented on. Unfortunately, most of these things can't be accomplished with a program. And require a change in attitude.

The informal nature... Dress is pretty casual. The whole church has stepped it down a notch since a construction worker "with not a lot to dress up in" started visiting. I love, love, love, that these people decided that making this guy feel at home was more important than looking pretty.

You will hear children no matter what's going on and it doesn't seem to bother a soul. We have a special needs boy that occasionally gets loose from his mother and runs up to his dad who is the worship leader. You get the feeling that when this happens, people aren't bothered and everyone is thanking God for Christopher.

We have an old building... Before and after church, the children ride all over the church on push toys. I know, it's blaspheme.

Reaching out to the community--

We do participate in different programs... We serve food at a local mission. We have a great benevolence ministry. Support different missionaries. But I think the greatest outreach is that individuals are dedicated to being Jesus to the world around them. They are looking for opportunities in every day life.

The thing that I would like to see change...
I would like to see people be more real. I would like the church to be a place where people can be honest about there struggles and not only know that they are loved anyway, but that people will surround them with prayer and support. That kind of trust is hard to obtain but I have no doubt that it's what God intended.

Blessings!

Melissa Lester said...

We attend the University Church of Christ in Motgomery and love it! The depth of preaching and Bible teaching drew us in, and we still talk about how blessed we are to sit at the feet of so many wise people. Also the singing is wonderful. We are so thankful for the young families we have grown so close to, and we are always impressed to see how faithful and committed most of the members are. They enthusiastically support all the church's endeavors.

A couple of years ago I started organizing backyard parties for preschool and early-elementary age children from church, and this has proven a great way to reach out to neighbors and friends in a relaxed way. I've been blogging about it this summer. We have a great time, and it allows us to have fellowship, Bible study and outdoor play. We have so many wonderful things going on at University, but Backyard Bible Adventures are what I can tell you most about.