I woke up early Thursday morning with pains but it didn't cross my mind for a while that they might be contractions since I was only in my 38th week of being pregnant and since I had no clue what a contraction would feel like with this being my first baby. The pain wasn't really getting any stronger but seemed to come at regular intervals. Daniel was up getting ready for work. I tried to go back to sleep but was just too uncomfortable. I had Daniel really worried/concerned by this point. I told him to go on to work anyway. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for that afternoon but decided since the pain wasn't going away, that I would call and see if they could work me in first thing that morning. I had to wait for the office to open, which was 8:30. I had gotten up around 6:30 a.m. I finally got the receptionist about 8:45 and she told me to come on in. By this time, it was definitely in my mind that these pains might be contractions but I was thinking early labor signs not the real thing. I had convinced myself that this baby would be a week or so late. I had even told a few people the night before at church that. Who knew I would go into labor the next day? Anyway, when I got to the doctor's office, they told me that both the doctor and the midwife had just gone to the hospital to deliver babies and there was no one there that could see me. They gave me the option to wait or to come back later. I just left them my cell phone number and told them to call me when one of them returns. Since my office was only a couple of minutes from their office, I decided to go on in to work and wait for the call. The pain had eased some by this point.
As I worked through the morning, the pain increased again and was definitely at a regular interval. I just wanted to know if this was the real thing or not. I'm sure Daniel was a nervous wreck at work that morning wanting to know the same thing. I began to try and get as much done to wrap up any loose ends on projects that I had on my desk just in case this was the real thing. Everyone I talked to that day kept telling me the pain I was describing was labor. I finally got the call from the doctor's office around 1:00 p.m. I finished up what I could at my desk and headed over to see the doc. He confirmed that I was in labor and it was the real thing. He said I was sitting on go. At this point I was 2-3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Dr. Sutherland told me to go home and relax, take a bath, etc. until I broke the 5 minute mark with the contractions. I got out to the parking lot and called Daniel. I asked him if he was ready and he said yes. I think he meant for me to tell him something though and not if he was ready for this baby to come. I told him what the doctor said and all he could say was "Really?" and "Are you serious?" We both headed home. He was just glowing when he walked in the door. We couldn't help but just grin from ear to ear for a while. I called my mom on the way home and I think she just dropped her lunch and got in the car. I wanted to give them some heads up since they are about 4 1/2 hours away. Daniel called his family when he got home that afternoon so they could get on the road as well, having the same drive as my parents.
I labored at home for a while. The contractions kept increasing as expected. I eventually had to give Daniel the responsibility of timing the contractions so I could focus to get through them. We left for the hospital and arrived there about 9:30 p.m. My parents and sister were waiting on us there. The maternity ward was packed that night. I guess it was due to the full moon. (See, I told you in a previous post!) The assessment/triage rooms were full so we had to wait in the waiting room for a hour or so until one of the rooms opened up. Kathy and Morgan Moore were there to keep us company as well. It was kinda weird having contractions in front of all of them, but I had no choice.
I finally got into the assessment room and then they took me to a labor and delivery room. I continued to suffer through the contractions for a good while into the night. Daniel was a prince as he helped me breathe through each one and kept encouraging me by telling me what a great job I was doing. When Dr. Sutherland came in to check me that night, (well, morning. It was around 3 am.) I was 7 cm dilated and 100% effaced. He said he would come in to check me in a hour or so to see how much progression I had made. I had been contemplating the epidural by this point but had convinced myself I could manage without it. However, when I heard I was only 7 cm, I was really rethinking that decision. I didn't want the epidural, not because of the effects it would have on me as most of you would guess, but because it was a needle. I get very freaked out over needles, drawing blood, IV's, etc. You notice that I haven't mentioned the IV. It was an awful experience that I really didn't want to remember. Anyway, my mom was the one who convinced me to get the epidural. She wasn't trying to, I don't think. She noticed how much I was struggling with the pain and told me something along the lines of me not having to be a superhero. I realized she was right and asked for the epidural. Believe me. I won't wait that long next time. Daniel and I actually got some sleep while I progressed. Dr. Sutherland came back in and checked me and said I was about ready to push. This was around 6 am or so. He went ahead and broke my sack of water. Unfortunately, his on call shift was over at 7 am so Dr. Harvin came in on the next shift.
The nurse got me ready to push and I began pushing I think around 8:30 a.m. The contractions had pushed the baby down a good amount but as I pushed, he just wasn't making much progress. They told me they could use the vacuum and go ahead and get the baby out. I was against this at first but soon realized I was wearing out and that was probably going to my only option soon anyway so I gave the go ahead. Dr. Harvin came in and assessed everything but decided the forceps were needed instead. By this time, my epidural had worn off a good bit and they had to give me a small dose more to get me through the delivery. Unfortunately, they began before it had time to really work so I felt every bit of the delivery. I went numb after he was born. When they broke my water, they saw that it had meconium in it so when Charlie was born, they immediately had to take him and suction the fluid out. Daniel stayed right by his side which made me feel better. My mom stayed with me and talked to me. My sister was snapping pictures left and right, which I was glad because this meant Daniel didn't have to worry about this task. I just laid there watching them take care of Charlie and was trying to grasp the idea that he was mine. It was just such a surreal moment. Daniel was finally able to bring him over to me and we both just cried the biggest tears we have ever cried. Charlie was finally here and we were parents! It was overwhelming.
After a little while, they took us up to the mother/baby floor where we spent the next couple of days. We had a few issues with Charlie. He had to be monitored in the transition nursery for a few hours Friday night but everything was fine. Just more precautionary than anything.
My parents, Daniel's parents, and my sister were all there at the hospital for the delivery. My aunt and uncle came to visit later that day. Daniel's sister, brother-in-law, and nephew came to visit on Saturday for a little while. They surprised us by bringing Daniel's grandmother as well. Branson was so cute with the baby. He kept giving him kisses and even kept count. He just kept saying how sweet Charlie was and how much he loved Charlie. I had other family in and out that included my aunt and cousins. The Moore's came to visit somewhere in there as well.
We made our trip home on Sunday afternoon just after lunch. It was nice to be home but it was also a little scary leaving the security of the hospital. I had a few friends stop by the house that afternoon to visit and see the baby.
From there it's just been feed, sleep, eat, repeat. We've definitely had some adjusting to do but Charlie is just the greatest thing that has come into our lives. Daniel and I have even realized how much more we love each other due to his arrival.
My mom stayed with us for a week after we came home. I can't tell you how much we appreciated all she did for us while she was here. I know she enjoyed her time here because she got to spend extra time with Charlie. I'll never be able to repay her for that time.
Anyway, I hope that has gotten everyone up to speed. It's a REALLY long post but it's taken me a while to find the time to write it all down. I'm sure I've missed a few things but I wanted to record it all somewhere. I hope to post a little more often as we experience life as parents!


No comments:
Post a Comment