I wasn't sure how Charlie would react to this day. He just took it in stride. Me...not so much. The morning started out fine. I walked him in and expected to dry tears as I tried to leave. Philip was with me. He had already met his teacher, Mrs. Harwell, at the open house so he recognized her. She took our "first day of school" picture and then instructed him where to put his things and asked him to sit down in his chair. He did as told without a word.
I got ready to leave, said my good-byes, and he just nodded his head. No tears. No "I want to go with you!" Just a nod of the head. When I realized that he was good and was fine without me, I broke into tears. I scurried out before Charlie saw me. However, everyone else saw me. I was just trying to get to the car as fast as I could. Yes. I was the sobbing mom who just dropped her child off at Kindergarten. I had some sympathetic teachers but it just didn't help. I sobbed the whole way home and tried to keep my mind occupied with errands to run later that morning.
Mrs. Harwell said Charlie had a great day at school. He did actually answer her with a head nod, which is good for Charlie when he is around someone he doesn't know well. I have no idea what went on in the classroom that day. I think that's hardest thing for me is to let go and let him do life on his own...without me.
So...off you go and grow Charlie Ward!
It wouldn't be true Ward boy fashion without some cuttin' up!
p.s. just for blackmail purposes later...I guess Charlie was too nervous this first day and ended up pooping in his pants. :\ Actually, it took him a couple of months to outgrow this.








No comments:
Post a Comment